Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Angel Berroa sucks.

It looks like Berroa's rigorous off-season training program didn't work out for him.....he's still horrible. I was doubtful we'd see him turn the corner. I suppose somewhere in the back of my mind, I hoped. That's what fans do in February and March, they hope their team's problems will work themselves out. Not going to happen in this case. It looks like we're stuck with a sub-par (to put it nicely) shortstop making way too much money.

So, what to do? Berroa does have options left, so we could ship him to Omaha. I've got to believe Dayton Moore is trying like hell to shop him to other teams...I don't know who'd be dumb enough to take him....Allard Baird, perhaps? Too bad he's not a GM somewhere else. Even if Moore finds a taker, there's no way we'd get out of eating a good portion of his salary - although I'd pay him double his salary to do nothing more than empty his locker and go home. He'd do more good sitting on his couch and watching the team from a good distance. I say his couch, as I think he should be completely banned from the ballpark....even being at The K as nothing more than a spectator, he'd find a way to screw something up

At this point, I say we cut our losses. Berroa's 29, I don't think he's going to magically improve one of these days. Players that old don't hit their stride (at least not without some HGH). If he were only 22, 23, 24.....I'd have more patience, but as it stands, my patience with Berroa is no better than his own patience at the plate. Let's see what Blanco can do...let him hit ninth in the order and play a decent shortstop. We've got enough decent bats - DeJesus, Grudz/German, Teahen, Sweeney (at least he looks good on paper), Gordon, Brown, Sanders, Shealy - to absorb a guy who may struggle with his first shot at playing full-time in the bigs.

So, let's help our offense by taking his league-worst OBP out of the order and let's help our pitchers by taking his awful glove and inaccurate throwing arm off the field. It's been a fun ride (wait, no....it hasn't), but it's time to say bye-bye to Angel. I mean, how sad can we possibly be to see him go, when the most he's inspired out of this fan base is to honor him with the nickname "Aw Hell", which is uttered every time he boots a ball, throws off-target to first, or strikes out on three straight pitches with men in scoring position.

**for those who don't know (I'm sure nobody pays enough attention to realize this) - Angel is pronounced "on-hell"...which is where the nickname comes from...it's too perfect**

It's time for change. I don't care if the next guy is all that great, or even good....I just hope he doesn't suck nearly as much as Aw Hell.

No comments: