Saturday, May 5, 2007

Back after hiatus

I had to take the end of April to get away from this blog. I couldn't handle trying to come up with something to write about, everything was going so terribly for the Royals (and still is, really).

Anyway - I'm back. And Billy Butler is here. Glad to see they finally made room for this kid...he is a hitter. And we can always use one of those.....especially in this weak lineup. Going into the season, I thought our lineup would be great and our pitching would still be the shaky part of the team, but I was wrong.

Let me clarify - I didn't think the pitching would be as horrible as last year, but I thought it would only be slightly improved. Meche and company have proven me wrong, though. The starting pitching has been vastly improved, while the bullpen has still been a sore spot (although Soria is the real deal). However, the bullpen hasn't been as much of a sore spot as our underperforming lineup. Alex Gordon is off to a slow start, which makes the start Shealy is off to completely impossible to describe (thank god he's on the DL now).

On a positive note, we did just split a four game series with the Angels, so that's nice. And even though we sit with a record of 10-20, there is a different feel to this team....I never feel like they're just completely overmatched, and that's a nice improvement from 2006. Another positive - Butler looks like the real deal, and I do see signs of improvement from Gordon - he's patient, and although he's only batting about .170, his OBP is over .300, so he's getting on base, just not getting hits.

Heading out to The K tonight to watch game two of the Detroit series, so hopefully will see a good game. Looking forward to seeing Butler in person.

I'll be posting more regularly (hopefully) throughout the rest of the season, and will try to have some fun new features for you guys, so stay tuned......

No comments: