Monday, April 7, 2008

So far, so good...

Well the Royals had a successful road trip, going 4-2 against Detroit and Minnesota. I was preparing myself for the team’s return to The K to come packaged with a 1-5 record, 4-2 is definitely nice.

It’s not that I think the Royals suck, I look at the team through the eyes of an optimistic fan, but I’ve been let down for so many years now…it’s hard to imagine them getting off to such a start. The best part about it all is that they’ve played tough in every game, even the two losses. That’s what is more encouraging to me than their record, as it tells me they’ve improved and they are steadily moving in the right direction. They’re becoming a tough group of players, which translates into a team that doesn’t lay down and die, but a team that can compete and a team that will fight until the last out of the last inning. I’d rather see them playing tough and losing than winning a couple of lucky games and getting blown out in their losses. I’ll take games like these all year.

Other Notes:

Well, the talks have begun. “Time to trade DeJesus,” the fans say. I’m not so sure about that. I don’t think I’m ready to give Gathright the job outright based on 6 games. DDJ has been a steady bat for us over the last few seasons, and he’s earned the chance to come back and show us what he’s got. That being said, Gathright is an electric player with the kind of speed we haven’t seen in KC since guys like Amos Otis and Willie Wilson were roaming the outfield and the base paths. If he can get on base at a good clip, he may be the leadoff man of the future, while DeJesus may become a fourth outfielder – or even trade bait.

Miguel Olivo is back from suspension, and with that comes the optioning of Tupman to Omaha…and the arrival of Hideo Nomo in the KC bullpen. I’ll be interested to see what Nomo’s got left in the tank. Even if his stuff’s not what it once was (and it’s surely not), I’d like to see if he’s crafty enough to be effective. Should make for an interesting opening series at home against the Yankees – the Japanese media will be out in full force to cover Nomo, Yabuta, Hillman, and of course Matsui.



AL Central standings as of April 6, 2008:

Royals 4-2
White Sox 4-2
Indians 3-3
Twins 3-4
Tigers 0-6

No comments: