Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Pitching is the name of the game

Opening day has come and gone.  I was at work, following the game online.  I went into a meeting and the Royals were up 2-1.  I came out of the meeting, and the game was over.  4-2 Sox.  What the hell went wrong?  

As the name of this post says - Pitching is the name of the game - for better and for worse.  Gil Meche was locked in yesterday, plowing through the White Sox lineup, having only been in one jam that I can remember (bases loaded) and working his way out of that with only one run scoring.  I thought the game was ours.  Meche got us through seven innings, now it would be Juan Cruz for an inning before turning the ball over to Mr. Automatic for the save.  But that's not what happened at all.  Kyle Farnsworth came in to bridge the gap to Soria, and all hell broke loose.

My question:  What the hell was Hillman thinking?  I mean, I can understand going with Farnsworth to a degree (although I think Cruz should clearly be our "A" option in late innings), but in a jam against Jim Thome.  No thanks.  Get me Ron Mahay, Cruz...anyone else.  Anyone other than Farnsworth, who gave up home runs at a horrible rate in 2008.  And against Jim Thome, who absolutely torches righties.

This has been quite the topic of debate in Kansas City today.  Is Trey Hillman a horrible manager for making this decision?  Didn't he learn anything last season?  Is this a sign of things to come?  And the flipside of the argument - the Hillman apologists:  It's only one game.  Right?

I think both sides have points.  Hillman should clearly have statistics at his disposal that tell him Farnsworth is not the guy to face Thome.  Hindsight is 20/20 and all that jazz...but come on.  Even I knew that was a matchup made in heaven - for the White Sox.  On the other hand...if we were 50 games into the season, would this situation have been as magnified?  I have to think not.  Opening day is the one time of year where EVERYONE is paying attention.

All things aside, my opinion is this:  Cruz has proven himself to be a more consistently good setup man than Farnsworth, although Farnsworth does have value coming out of the pen as a gritty hurler who isn't afraid to come inside and take ownership of the plate.  My opinion - Farnsworth is a solid guy for innings six and/or seven, while Cruz should be the guy who shuts opponents down in inning eight (and maybe seven as well).  And don't forget - we also have another solid guy out of the pen for these late innings named Ron Mahay.  

In summary, yes, Hillman screwed up.  But, it's only one game.  And we won game two behind six great innings from Greinke, two great innings from Cruz, and the usual from Soria.  Looks like Hillman learned his lesson (or so I hope).

No comments: