Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Pretender

Barry Bonds popped up in the news the other day.  I hadn't paid much attention to him for some time now, and this was the first I'd heard a peep out of him for at least year.  He didn't have much of substance to say, but I did take one thing away from the article I read...Bonds is still pretending.

Barry says he's proud of Mark McGwire for coming clean.  What does this imply?  It implies that Bonds thinks McGwire did something wrong and needed to come clean.  However, no mention of himself, because Barry himself did nothing wrong, and doesn't need to come clean.  Right?

Bonds then mentioned how he, like McGwire (new hitting coach for the Cardinals), is doing a little coaching himself.  He recently did a little one-on-one clinic with Philadelphia's Ryan Howard.  Speaking on the experience, Bonds went on to say "God gave me a gift, and it's nice to let someone else see what God has given me.  If you want it, I'll be happy to share it with you."

I think in this equation, God equals Balco?  I'm not sure.  Maybe I'm reading too much into this...overanalyzing.  But, word of warning to Ryan Howard, if Barry tries to share his "gift" with you...run!  Sharing needles is NOT the way to go.

In all seriousness though, it's just another example of Bonds the Pretender - this time pretending to be the great guy he wants to be seen as...but we've all seen the real Barry for too long now.  There's no turning back, no tricking us into remembering you in a different light.  And more importantly, no tricking the Hall of Fame voters into remembering you for anything other than what you really are.  A fraud.

But you just go on pretending nothing ever happened, Barry...

No comments: